10 May, 2011

Sorry to break it to you, but it really IS NOT all about you

One of our country's future journalistic contributors wrote an editorial in regards to guns on campus at DePaul University.  The quote that stood out was this gem.

"I would not feel safe if I was sitting next to someone on the train or bus and they were carrying a weapon," said O'Brien. "I don't trust a stranger to protect me, let alone trusting them to carry a gun," he said.

See, that stranger is not there to protect you. If you were to ask them, they'd probably tell you they could care less for you, beyond and initial assessment of whether or not you're a threat. Oh sure, if they are a peaceably armed citizen, they care enough about themselves and don't wish for an occurrence of violence to occur to anyone. But you? No, it is not their job. The gun they carry on their person is to protect them.

1 comment:

Newbius said...

"I don't trust a stranger to protect me, let alone trusting them to carry a gun"

Funny, that. I'd bet you lunch that he trusts strangers to protect him daily (being as he is unwilling to do so for himself). It is just that the "stranger" in question has a shiny badge, and no legal obligation to actually protect him at all (Warren v. District of Columbia, 2005).