06 September, 2009

What is it about guns that hooks you?

That was the question asked recently. A fellow responder posted the quote. My response is as follows;

Quote:
I think that for most men it is about extension of power. I know that idea is frowned upon, perhaps even by members of this fine forum, but I think the ability to affect our surroundings beyond arms' length is very alluring.
But how do you use that power? Like Peter Parker's uncle said "With great power comes great responsibility." Anyone who holds a gun in their hands literally can have the power of life and death over another living creature. Exercising that power responsibly is to me, a part of the allure. Not giving into some base instinct to harm something needlessly. That's cruelty and makes you a monster, not a human.

Also, I enjoy the ongoing mastery of a particular piece of equipment. Each of my guns shoots just a little bit different. Becoming competent with each of them is part of the challenge. Obtaining perfection is a goal I'll strive for, but never achieve.

The scientific aspect as well. The violent chemical reaction initiated by a mechanical force that imparts energy upon a projectile is fascinating. Making it all come together consistently is the challenge.

Yes, we can measure the powder and load the slug to a certain length in the case. The rifling of our barrel stays the same, but the biggest variable is between our ears. How we respond to the external stimuli when on the firing line defines, to me, the greatest challenge of the mechanical aspect of shooting.

1 comment:

TXGunGeek said...

Happy to chime in.

1) Relaxation! When I am "on" there is only me, the gun and the target. Doesn't matter what else is going on in the world. At that moment in time, nothing else exists. It is an extremely calming and relaxing feeling afterward when I have made the leap from distracted to focused on my game.

2) Science. I AM A GEEK! and am happy to let my geek flag fly. I tinker with guns and do my own gunsmithing. Even on my raceguns. (Only way I can afford an STI, build and fiot it myself) Helps to have a machinist background.
I also roll my own ammo. Been reloading for years and teach reloading with my other classes. Lately gotten into wildcatting to start coloring outside the lines.
And I like to study ballistics. I have graphs and charts of different loads in different guns of my wifes and my own to show where the bullets are going and what the external ballistics/aerodynamics are of a certain load. (Helps to be in the Aero world for that.)

3)Compensation! I am compensating for the fact that I am unable to hurl a rock at 3000fps. (Stolen, not my own creation)