05 April, 2013

University City Mayor responds to my letter

I've received the second of what is hopefully six replies, this time from Mayor Shelley Welsch, mayor of University City. 

Mr. Top of the Chain,

Thank you for your note. I appreciate your input.

I will not be renouncing my membership in the Mayors Against Illegal Guns organization. My first responsibility is to protect the safety of our residents.  I feel efforts to remove illegal guns from the streets are appropriate. 

I am not sure where the quote of Michael Bloomberg originated – during his work on this issue or his work on large sodas.  I will say, though, that I don’t believe any recommendations of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns organization infringe in any way on the rights of U.S. citizens.  Details of our proposals can be found at http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/federal/federal.shtml.

Thanks.



Shelley Welsch
Mayor

A common pattern seems to be emerging here, that these mayors want "illegal" guns off the streets.   Yet, when asked they cannot answer definitively, what exactly an "illegal" gun is.  Mayor Welsch asserts MAIG will not infringe upon the rights of U.S. Citizens.  But when Magpul, while fighting the Colorado bill, kept running into lobbyists from MAIG, it seems clear that the mayor is either uninformed about the organization she won't resign from, or a willing and active participant.   

Mayor Welsch is wrong, and shame on her for siding with bigots.   


No comments: